The Health Services Appeal and Review Board (HSARB) is established by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Appeal and Review Boards Act, 1998 to conduct appeals and reviews under twelve different health care statutes. The proceedings under each of the statutes range from oral appeals to written reviews. The decisions being appealed to or reviewed by the Board include:
- Decisions of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (“OHIP”) under the Health Insurance Act respecting eligibility for OHIP coverage and payment for services;
Health Insurance Act Information Sheet (MS Word 71 KB)
- Decisions of approved agencies under the Home Care and Community Services Act, 1994 regarding eligibility for and amount of community services;
- Orders of the Medical Officer of Health or public health inspectors under the Health Protection and Promotion Act;
- Orders and decisions of the Director under the Long Term Care Homes Act, 2007;
- Decisions of the Director under the Independent Health Facilities Act with respect to licensing of independent health facilities.
"NEW - PRACTICE DIRECTION AND RULE 13 UPDATE"
Public Access to Proceedings
Consolidated Rules of Practice Procedure - Rule 13 Update
New Consolidated Rules of Practice and Procedure effective May 1, 2013 - Refer legal rules
Posted Date: April 11, 2013
Decisions will be posted on CanLII
effective August 2, 2010.
Posted Date: July 12, 2010
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
THE APPEAL BOARD IS UNABLE TO ACCOMMODATE IN-PERSON HEARINGS AND IN-PERSON INQUIRIES AT THIS TIME. THE APPEAL BOARD ALSO HAS LIMITED ABILITY TO RECEIVE MATERIAL BY MAIL OR COURIER AND A REDUCED ABILITY TO RESPOND TO TELEPHONE CALLS.
All requests for appeals and reviews, submissions, materials, and inquiries must be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to the HSARB at 416-327-8524.
The HSARB is taking immediate action in light of the COVID-19 public health emergency. All in-person matters are being converted to teleconference for the foreseeable future. Parties to reviews or hearings before the Appeal Board will be receiving information regarding the conversion to teleconference.
The HSARB continues to monitor the situation, and is committed to maintaining it’s mandate to carry out matters in a timely and efficient manner in these extraordinary times.
Please note that the Appeal Board is receiving a higher than normal volume of calls and e-mails. Board staff are responding to inquiries as quickly as possible, and we recommend that you continue to send any inquiries to the HSARB e-mail (email@example.com).
We greatly appreciate your patience and cooperation in this time.