The Health Services Appeal and Review Board (HSARB) is established by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Appeal and Review Boards Act, 1998 to conduct appeals and reviews under twelve different health care statutes. The proceedings under each of the statutes range from oral appeals to written reviews. The decisions being appealed to or reviewed by the Board include:
- Decisions of the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (“OHIP”) under the Health Insurance Act respecting eligibility for OHIP coverage and payment for services; Health Insurance Act Information Sheet (MS Word 71 KB)
- Decisions of approved agencies under the Home Care and Community Services Act, 1994 regarding eligibility for and amount of community services;
- Orders of the Medical Officer of Health or public health inspectors under the Health Protection and Promotion Act;
- Orders and decisions of the Director under the Long Term Care Homes Act, 2007;
- Decisions of the Director under the Independent Health Facilities Act with respect to licensing of independent health facilities.
"NEW - PRACTICE DIRECTION AND RULE 13 UPDATE"
Public Access to Proceedings
Consolidated Rules of Practice and Procedure - Rule 13 Update
Decisions will be posted on CanLII effective August 2, 2010.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
The Board is updating its practices and procedures and continues to prioritize digital transformation and innovation as it modernizes its services. At this time, the Board continues to conduct its proceedings electronically via videoconferencing and teleconferencing.
The Board is also working to safely accommodate limited in-person proceedings. Accommodation requests and very complex matters may be scheduled for in-person proceedings on a case-by-case basis. While the Board encourages electronic formats of proceedings, it will ensure that people have access to services when accommodation is needed.
The Board recommends that all requests for appeal and review, submissions, materials, and inquiries be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to HSARB at 416-327-8524.
Alternatively, you may contact the Board via regular mail, courier or by leaving a message at 416-327-8512.